Find a lost Android device
To be prepared if your phone or tablet is missing OS Watch, find My Device so you can check if it can be found. Learn how to find, lock or erase your device if it is already lost.
Important: Some of these steps only work on Android 8.0 and later. Learn how to test your Android version.
Make sure your device can be found
To find, lock, or erase an Android phone, that phone must:
- Be turned on
- Be signed in to a Google Account
- Be connected to mobile data or Wi-Fi
- Be visible on Google Play
- Have Location turned on
- Have Find My Device turned on
Step 1: Check that Find My Device is on
- Open your mobile device’s Settings app.
- Tap Security Find My Device. If you don’t see “Security,” tap Security & location or Google Security.
- Make sure Find My Device is turned on.
Tip: If you have a tablet that people share, only tablet’s owner can change this settings.
Step 2: Check that Location is on
- Open your device’s Settings app.
- Then tap Location. If you don’t see “Location,” go to your phone manufacturer’s support site for help.
- Turn on Location.
Step 3: Check that Google Play visibility is on
Important: If you hide a device on Google Play, it not show in Find My Device.
- Open play.google.com/settings.
- Under “Visibility,” pick the device.
Step 4: Turn on 2-Step Verification backups
- Go to your Google Account.
- Tap Security.
- On the “Signing in to Google” panel,
- Tap 2-Step Verification.
- Add at least 1 additional second step, either:
Backups help you get back into your account, if you forget your password, lose your phone, or can’t sign in for another reason. Then Learn more about setting up 2-Step Verification and backups.
Step 5: Check that you can find your device
- Open android.com/find.
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- If this device has more than one user profile, sign in with a Google Account that’s on the main profile. Learn about user profiles.
- If you have more than one device, click this device at the top of the screen.
Install the app
To be prepared to use one Android phone or tablet to find another, install the Find My Device app .