There are many ways to increase the power of your brain, whether it’s for your studies or to prevent yourself from neurological disease.
12 WAYS TO IMPROVE BRAIN POWER
- Thinking can give your brain the boost it needs to function well. This is a great warm-up exercise before you move on to your main task, such as writing a report or studying for an exam. In many cases, it can also stimulate your creativity. Think about what you want to highlight in your report before going into the details of the topic and your presentation. You don’t even have to use anything to design and write your copy. Just thinking about it will help stimulate your brain.
- Deep breathing increases the amount of oxygen in the blood, which helps your brain to function better. Breathing deeply for 10 to 15 minutes each day can help you in the long run, but it will also allow you to maintain good oxygenation and smooth blood flow while limiting your anxiety. Make sure you are breathing from the bottom of your lungs. Think of it as a balloon that inflates first in the stomach, then in the chest and neck. When you breathe out, it will go in the opposite direction, first to the neck, then to the chest and stomach.
- Drinking 5 or more cups of green tea per day can reduce the possibility of psychological problems by 20%. This drink is also a good stimulant just like caffeine to keep the brain functioning well throughout the day.
- Take a break is a good way to keep your brain in good shape. It could be surfing the Internet for a quarter of an hour or moving on for a few moments to change the rhythm of your brain. It is also recommended not to spend more than an hour on a given task and to alternate for a while with another activity. Put aside what you couldn’t finish in an hour and get back to work a little later.
- Laughter is often said to be the best medicine, but it also stimulates certain areas of the brain, making it possible to think more broadly and more freely. Laughter is also a natural stress reliever. Remember to laugh, especially before an important exam or professional meeting. Put funny wallpaper on your computer or save a good joke while you study. Come back to it once in a while to provoke a laugh.
- Eat foods that stimulate the brain. There are lots of foods to help stimulate your brain. On the other hand, there are obviously also foods that cause the opposite effect like foods high in sugar and refined carbohydrates, junk food and sodas, foods that dull the brain’s capacity, cloud your mind and make you lethargic. Try foods high in omega 3 fatty acids such as walnuts and salmon ground flax seeds, squash and black beans, spinach, broccoli, pumpkin seeds and bean sprouts. These fatty acids improve blood circulation and stimulate the function of neurotransmitters, which help your brain to function well. Foods rich in magnesium like lentils and chickpeas are also important because they help send messages to your brain. Scientists have found a link between a diet enriched with blueberries and greater ease of learning and memorization. The choline found in vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower has the ability to promote brain cell renewal while boosting the intelligence of older adults. Complex carbohydrates give your brain and body energy over a longer period of time. Try to eat whole foods, such as whole grain bread and rice, oatmeal, high fiber cereals, lentils, and white beans.
- Sleep is especially important for memory functions. Your brain struggles to keep up if you don’t get enough sleep. Abilities like creativity, thinking, thinking, problem solving, and memory are all related to quality sleep. You should therefore get enough sleep to keep a good memory. Turn off any electronic device at least half an hour before going to bed. It involves turning off the phone, computer, TV, and so on. Otherwise your brain will be too stimulated to allow you to fall asleep, and it will be more difficult for you to fall asleep and go through all of its necessary restorative steps. Adults should get at least 8 hours of sleep.
- Get enough physical activity to increase the oxygen supply to the brain, which helps it function better. It also releases substances that improve your general mood and protect your brain cells. Scientists have found that physical activity can actually increase the number of neurons in the brain. Dance and martial arts are particularly indicated to stimulate your brain functions, because they intervene on various functions of the brain such as the sense of organization, coordination, programming and evaluation. You have to get your body moving to the beat of the music.
- Deep enough meditation can encourage your brain to function better and not make certain negative neurological connections. Meditation reduces both tension (which allows the brain to function better) and memorization skills. Find a quiet place where you can be quiet for even a quarter of an hour. Concentrate on your breathing. Say “inhale, exhale” mentally or out loud as you breathe. Each time your mind beats the campaign, gently get it to focus on your breathing again. When you manage to meditate better, observe what is going on around you, feel the warmth of the sun on your face, notice the birdsong and the sounds of road traffic outside, pick up the smells around you. You can also think about what you do when you take a shower, for example, to focus on the effect of water on your skin, the smell of your soap or the like. It helps you keep an alert mind and allows you to strengthen your current state of consciousness.
- Getting enough water for your body is very important since your brain is 80% water. It won’t work as well if it’s dehydrated. So make sure you drink at least 1.5 liters of water a day. You can also drink fruit or vegetable juices. Polyphenols in fruits and vegetables are natural antioxidants that protect your brain when it is running at high performance.
- Learn something new. This provides a good workout for your brain, as well as physical exercise to increase your strength and endurance. Your brain won’t develop if you just keep doing the same things you already know by heart. Learning a foreign language stimulates several parts of your brain and makes new neural connections. It takes some effort and allows you to expand your knowledge. You can also take cooking lessons, knitting, learn to play a musical instrument or the art of juggling. Your brain will be happy and function better as long as you enjoy what you are doing and learn new things. The fun of learning is an important part of any learning, it keeps your brain healthy and it boosts its abilities. You are more likely to learn more if you enjoy what you are doing.
- Reduce your tension. Chronic stress can destroy brain cells and damage the hippocampus, the part of the brain that keeps memories and forms new ideas. Learning how to deal with stress effectively is extremely important since you cannot completely remove it from your life. Again, meditation is the key to helping you manage tension and help your brain, even if you just spend 5 to 10 minutes a day. Deep breathing can also help, as this will immediately bypass tension and ease your anxiety.